- Started by purchasing Lion 10.7.3 from the app store.
- Installed it to a mac to be used as my "admin" machine.
- Created a external Lion Recovery disk using the Lion Recovery Disk assistant http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848
- Booted an iMac 11,2 from the new recovery disk.
- Installed a full "vanilla" Lion Install.
(The only consideration for different environments is whether you want to do a custom install and modify the printer drivers. I just installed everything).
- Rebooted the iMac 11,2 into TARGET DISK mode prior to any setup or registration wizards running.
- Captured a dmg of the iMac 11,2 that I will call OSX_10.7.3_VANILLA.dmg that I can use later to begin image capturing so I don't need to go through the entire install all over again.
- I'm ready to copy my "build" scripts to the disk now.
My only other considerations (that will requiring future testing) are;
- is the app store smart? ie, is the installer I downloaded, model specific? does this mean my dmg will only be functional for iMac11,2 models or can it be a "MASTER" image?
- does booting into single user mode change anything on the OS or is it as close to possible as a non-booted system?